Different Types of Visas to Choose From at the Thai Embassy

If you’re looking to visit Thailand for a vacation, or just to visit with friends or family, you’ll need a visa. There are several different types of visas to choose from, including a Retirement Visa, a Business Visa, and a SMART Visa. You’ll need to find the right one for you.


The Thailand Smart Visa is a business visa designed to attract startup entrepreneurs and high tech workers. It is available for up to four years. This visa can be obtained from the Royal Thai Consulate or at the Royal Thai Embassy.

The Thailand Smart Visa program was launched in February 2018. It is aimed at attracting technology and startup entrepreneurs and investors.

To apply for the Thailand Smart Visa, foreign investors must invest $50000 in Thailand. They are also required to become a board member of the company and be a part of the investment. Also, applicants must invest in enterprises that use technology. Applicants must receive endorsement from a public organization, like the National Innovation Agency.

Applicants must meet the criteria specified by the Board of Investment and apply for the SMART Visa online. The application process takes 30 working days. During this time, applicants will receive a technical and non-technical endorsement.

Applicants can also convert a non-immigrant visa to a SMART visa. For this, they must have a bank statement from the sponsor and an end balance.

Business Visa

You can get a tourist visa if you’re going to Thailand for a short visit. However, if you plan on working or doing business in Thailand you’ll need a Thai work visa. This is because the Thai government doesn’t permit American citizens to stay in the country for longer than 90 days without a valid visa.

The Thai Embassy can provide you with useful information about visas and the processes required to obtain one. To apply for a Thai Visa you’ll need to fill out a form, pay a fee, and have your passport stamped by a consular officer. There are two ways to do this.

One way is to go to the nearest Thai embassy and see if you can make an appointment. Another way is to check out the Royal Thai Consulate-General’s website.

Depending on the type of visa you’re looking for, you’ll need to fill out three forms. These documents must be in English or Thai and you’ll need to submit a photograph.

Retirement Visa

The Thailand retirement visa, also known as the Elective Residence Visa, allows retirees to live in the country. It is an extension of the Non-Immigrant O-A Visa.

A Thailand retirement visa allows you to stay in the country for one year. You can apply for the visa from an embassy or consulate in your home country. In order to qualify, you must be at least 50 years of age and have a valid passport.

You will need to prove that you have a sufficient income to sustain yourself in Thailand. This may be in the form of a pension or rental income. For a foreigner, it is necessary to have a minimum income of 65,000 THB per month. If you have a dependent family member, you must have a total annual income of EUR27,792 or $7,220.

In addition, you will need to have a criminal record clearance certificate from your country of origin. This must be notarized and valid for three months.

Overstaying a visa

Overstaying a visa at Thai embassy is not only illegal, but it can also carry fines. If you fail to pay the fine, you could be imprisoned. You should seek legal advice.

When overstaying, you must surrender yourself at an Immigration Checkpoint, which could be a land border or an airport. You must explain your reason for overstaying and pay the required fine.

In Thailand, the minimum charge for overstaying is 500 baht. Children under 15 are exempt from overstay fines. However, they still need a valid visa or an extension to stay in the country.

Overstays that are longer than 90 days may result in a deportation from the country. People who overstay for more than 200 days may face imprisonment at the Immigration Detention Centre. They will also be subject to a five-year ban from reentering the country.

The Ministry of Interior has recently ordered a stricter approach to overstaying. This means that foreigners who overstay will be subjected to significant fines. A foreigner who overstays for more than 40 days will be charged 20,000 baht.